Mercury (liquid)

Mercury is toxic and should not be thrown out in the trash! Elemental mercury is a silvery liquid that is commonly used in thermometers and thermostats. Mercury is not hazardous to humans when it is in a sealed device. The danger to health and the environment arises when mercury-containing articles are broken and discarded in the trash. (Or broken after being discarded in the trash.) If you have liquid mercury, it must be brought to the annual Household Hazardous Waste Day. See entries immediately below for additional disposal options for devices containing mercury.

Appears in: What Do I Do With...?